Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Wearing the Blinders

The young girl asked, "What are those things by the horses eyes?  How can he see?"  The owner of the beautiful Percheron pair said "They are blinders and they keep the horse from being spooked or surprised (especially when pulling a sled full of people.)"  Which is just what we were getting ready to enjoy!


These are 1,600 pound horses that could do a lot of damage if they were spooked not to mention that one step on a someone and wow, I think you would break!  We had a delightful ride and my, that pair pulled a sled with 8 adults and 10 kids ranging in size and age.We had a marvelous time and we couldn't have asked for a more beautiful winter day.  By the end of our hour long ride it began to snow so so although beautiful, it was somewhat heavy and wet, it all timed out beautifully!


As I pondered the thought of blinders I realized that in essence we all should be wearing spiritual blinders.  When I think of how easily we can be pulled this way or that in our thinking, (by the the wiles of the enemy of our soul) I think yes, that is just want he wants to do with us, spook us into old behavior and get us to regret and feel guilty and the like.  He is so sneaky!


My favorite verses in Philippians basically reminds us to keep our eyes on the prize so that we will attain the goal in sight, so we don't become distracted and pulled away from that goal!


The Message Paraphrase puts it this way:

:13 Friends, don’t get me wrong:  By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. :14  I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back.

If we do likewise, then we really can’t use excuses when we get pulled away and tempted to walk contrary to our Christ life.  God has certainly given us everything we need to literally be armed and dangerous.  I like that thought! We just need to read and lean into Ephesians 6 and remind ourselves of the armor God gives us to use, applying the armor daily just like the horseman.  He dresses his horses to protect them and others!

So, do you have your blinders on today?

Father, I can’t make excuses when I fall, you have fully equip me to stand the wiles of the enemy who would love nothing other than to trip me and then watch me fall. And, he would get double for his effort if I caused someone else to fall.  So guard my heart Lord, may I be armed and watchful and a trustworthy example keeping  my gaze upon the end result of an eternity with You!

1 comment:

punky said...

Wonderful analogy..I loved it!!
Thanks, Dawn...

punky