Monday, August 23, 2010

What's Next Lord?

There are too many days when I feel as if I'm at a standstill.  Not going forward but I guess thankfully not going backward, just in that holding pattern.  This frustrates me and I tend to start thinking that I must do something to make something happen.  I am slowly learning that there is this fine balance between waiting on the Lord and pushing through.  If I am not certain of what's ahead then I best not be pushing through or I might end up where I don't want to be or involved in something that I am not ready to be involved in.  Yet on the other hand, if I make the effort to wait on the Lord, (very difficult for me) I will reap the harvest He has planned for me and those I am involved with.  

Isaiah 55:9 says it so well, ""For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts."  

Can I ponder all He has in store for me, probably not because my 'heavenly mindset' still has ties to this world.  I can dream but I really think He delights in my trusting Him enough to wait and prepare.  It is so hard for me to wait and that has always been an issue for me.  True confessions are that even as a kid, I had to peek at the presents hiding in the closet at Christmas time.  But waiting is like getting your favorite fruit before it is ripe.  If you break into it before it is fully ripened it isn't going to taste  like it would if you had waited for that fullness of flavor to develop and mature and wow, my mouth is watering as I think of a juicy pineapple.  They are so, so while still in the finishing stages of maturing but man when you get one that is fully matured, it is so wonderful and well worth the wait.

Simply stated, God has the big picture and I do not.  Yes, His ways are far surpassing ours although we have been given the mind of Christ we have a lot to learn about developing 'His thoughts." 

I have come to appreciate this verse in Proverbs 16:9 "A man's heart plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps."  Let me make all the plans I can, if I could draw a picture of my day without putting the Lord in the mix it would be one squiggly mix of here and there and everywhere.  When I take the time to consult the "Planner" I will have a picture with much more direct routes to the goals and purposes He has set before me.  It just sounds so easy doesn't it?  But...let me place my heart's focus on the Lord and the ripening process that He has me in for this hour.  Indeed, what He allows to mature will be well worth the wait and preparation!

Father, here is another day to walk with You and in Your will. Let me take the journey a day at a time.  Will You help me to give my day and plans completely to You?  Let me lay down my agenda and pick up Yours so that my day will account for something worthwhile.  When the end of the day comes I want to breathe a sigh of goodness knowing that my efforts were all part of Your divine plan for me instead of looking back and wondering if I accomplish anything?  Thanks, Pappa that you are ultimately in control and although you will let me sputter around doing my own thing, while wasting a lot of that precious commodity called time, You will have Your way in my life.  Today, let me choose Your way, the higher way and I trust that You will use this good day to make a difference in my circle of influence, in Jesus' name.

No comments: