Thursday, March 10, 2011

Am I Willing?

Am I Willing?

There are some very talented singer/songwriters out there today and although the argument seems to be too much repetition and simplicity in our modern day praise and worship music.  However, there is truth from the Word in today’s contemporized Christian music and who knows if the repetition is to drive a point home or heavenward?

I have a lot of admiration for Chris Tomlin and it seems that every project he comes out with whether it is he and others on the Passion CD projects or singular projects, they are excellent songs of worship.

Chris’ recent project “If Our God is For Us” has a song that spoken to me in volumes and it is the song “I Will Follow”.  This drummed up some great thoughts as I pondered the lyrics to this song and then, I was reading in My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers for March 9 and there it was again that theme but presented as a question from Jesus Himself:

So Jesus said to the Twelve, "Do you want to go away as well?"

The picture here is Jesus teaching on eternal life and interestingly enough, many of the disciples turned and walked away from following Jesus at this point. Jesus talks about getting our daily spiritual nourishment from Him alone through the body and the blood.  This did not sit well with the Jews and they couldn’t quite wrap their brains around the truth He was presenting.  So too some of the disciples were troubled by His presentation.  The Body and the Blood thing is almost too simple and Christ questions His disciples saying, "Do you take offense at this? Then what if you were to see the Son of Man ascending to where he was before? It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

Oswald Chambers insinuates that many are working for Jesus Christ, diligently pouring their lives out to “do” good works in Jesus’ name, but he states, all that is really required is oneness with the Him.  After we have abandoned our agenda, and determined we will follow Christ and seek to be a daily partaker of His divine presence we are truly His disciples.
 
So Chris Tomlin’s song “I Will Follow” reiterates that thought in these lines:
Where you go, I'll go
Where you stay, I'll stay
When you move, I'll move
I will follow you
Who you love, I'll love
How you serve I'll serve
If this life I lose, I will follow you
I will follow you  (link to the song provided)

The road we are on with Jesus is not an easy road.  However, I refer to it as tracking with the Lord and that tracking or being in His will is the place where you find peace in the midst of the storm, satisfaction instead of exhaustion as you serve with Him and the eternal perspective as others see Christ in you the hope of glory!  Pretty exciting stuff isn’t it?

Jesus, I will follow you and when I head down a rabbit trail that is not my destiny I will rely on the Holy Spirit it nudge me or sometimes jolt me back to Your side.  I am so grateful and most satisfied when I am tracking with You!

No comments: