Friday, October 12, 2012

Do I Have to Let Go?

Have you ever had to let go of something but believed that it just wasn't the right time, just not yet or maybe you never thought you would have to ever?  Back in the fall of 2009 my story was featured on the front page of Living Stones News, a fabulous newspaper filled with stories of faith, miracles and life-changing testimonies that included my own.  The stories proclaim the goodness of the Lord and the work He does in and through people's lives (and some of us have have been pulled through some pretty awful messes).   However, these were real life stories of God's redemption, encouragement for others to be able to see just what God is able to do in a person's life!

Almost a year after my story was published, Corinne Scott (she and her husband began this marvelous ministry) asked if I would be interested in having a monthly column in the paper since they recently lost one of their contributors.  I was overwhelmingly blessed by her request and accepted.  So for almost two years I have been contributing to this paper which went online last November.  It has been such a privilege to be connected to the world this way with a fabulous host of other writers and I have seen it as a gift from God to be part of this team.

At the end of August, we received word from Corinne that the Living Stones News would no longer be published for a variety of reasons.  Needless to say I was sorely disappointed to hear the news but understand that everything in life has seasons.  I was reminded of this bittersweet Scripture:

John 12:24 (ESV)  "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls to the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit."

It is sort of crazy and somewhat of a paradox to think that something has to die to begin anew!  But it is true.  Every single seed that falls to the ground falls lifeless only to eventually sprout and bear fruit.  And some seeds have to endure intense pressure before they will be able to sprout new life!

The verse above in John reads like this in the Message paraphrase: "Listen carefully; Unless a grain of wheat is buried in the ground, dead to the world, it is never any more than a grain of wheat.  But if it is buried, it sprouts and reproduces itself many times over."

What is it that you are holding on to that may need to fall to the ground?  For my friends at Living Stones News, well, god knows what might be stirring under the ground that may resurrect as a new thing that will be used to glorify Him in a fresh, new way.  And I myself have had to lay down hopes and dreams so that the Lord can have His way and rebuild what I have tried to do myself.  (Much like that dying to self' business!)


Don't be afraid to let go...trust His directing hand and know that when God begins something new that it may be for a time and a season, a specific purpose or use that will give Him glory! After all, Jesus Himself had to willingly die and because He did, we who identify with His death and resurrection now live.  

Finally, it is fall and every thing around my neck of the woods has mostly drained of color and appears dead...until spring that is!

No comments: