Tuesday, October 2, 2012

What Does Sin Look Like?

When I walk my little girl in the woods, most days are filled with appreciation of God's creation.  Many times He reveals truth through what I see giving me spiritual insights through my visual observations.  When I remember to do so, I like to take my camera with me to capture various interesting creatures, plants, etc.

One day I was captivated by all the varying types of fungus that grows on seemingly alive and dead trees on our property.  These come in a wide variety of shapes and colors and according to my Google search there are different types but the ones on my trees are fungal and require a 'host' to grow.  In otherwords they can drain the host for their own survival.   There many shapes and sizes and some are just fascinating even attractive in some cases like the petticoat or lacy look at the bottom of one tree.   But interestingly enough, when they die off, they shrivel up and get nasty black, slimy and become very yucky looking.  There is nothing attractive about them at all.  And in a lot of cases their host begins to look unhealthy and may even die off.  Maybe they even reveal an unhealthy interior in some cases? 
In one of the pictures I felt God showing me how this is like sin.  We can become captivated by what looks to be something not only satisfying but lovely, exciting, attractive, delicious, and yes, alluring.  The word alluring, really says it well, to attract or tempt by something flattering or desireable.  And the word seduce is also a good descriptive of anything that captures and lures us from where we are in a disingenuous manner, to cause us harm.

In the Scriptures it talks about being enticed and seduced by sin and its results when it is allowed to have its way in our thinking and actions.  James 1:14,15 says, "But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death."

It is indeed an unfortunate thing that we allow ourselves to be tempted and swayed by our 'natural' desires instead of using the weapons of warfare--God given in Christ Jesus--to win the battle of temptation in our everyday world.  The lure is there everyday and everywhere, it pulls and tugs for us to obey in a sense demanding our attention where instead we might choose to focus on the tools God has given us to win the war against sin.  Sometimes, even daily, it can be exhausting, however on the other side of the battle is the peace that is ours when we make right choices.  

I like the way the Message paraphrase puts Proverbs 2:6-8 "And here's why: God gives out Wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding. He's a rich mine of Common Sense for those who live well, a personal bodyguard to the candid and sincere. He keeps his eye on all who live honestly, and pays special attention to his loyally committed ones."

God's word reminds us that we will be tempted!  But He also shows us the benefits of making the right choice, telling our minds the truth about the temptation.  If it is only going to bring a momentary burst of enjoyment then give way to a not so pleasant outcome then why not refuse to indulge in it?  My biggest struggle is with food and I can really apply this to what I allow to pass from my hands to my mouth.  And it isn't very often that I win the battle once the temptation is in hand so to speak.  But that is my struggle.  For you it might be something different.  But the bottom line is that we have the freedom to make the right choice or decision every time we are faced with temptation.  Mentally frisking--if you will--by putting it to through the Philippians 4:8 test is a big help when we take the time to ask ourselves if it is "...true...honorable...just...pure...lovely...commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise..."

The war is played out in the mind, and today like every day we have all we need to be victorious! How is it going for you today?  Take a moment right now to reflect upon the Scripture in Philippians above that ends with "...think about these things" and you will see that the battle really does belong to the Lord!

No comments: